The following suggestions can help you fine-tune your fats and oils:
- Stir-fry vegetables in a bit of olive or canola oil; the fats enable your body to absorb nutrients from the vegetables more efficiently.
- Toss cooked pasta with a little olive oil, fresh basil leaves, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese, if desired. Add cooked beans or shrimp for a complete onepot meal.
- Store chopped walnuts or pecans in the freezer and sprinkle them on hot and cold cereal, yogurt and fruit, spinach salads, and pasta and rice dishes.
- Use sliced avocado rather than mayonnaise on a sandwich or add it to salads for a creamy texture.
- If you’re a potato chip aficionado, all the fat-free pretzels in the supermarket won’t satisfy your taste for a crispy chip. When you do enjoy these types of foods, be sure to put a helping on a plate instead of eating directly from the bag. It’s too easy to eat more than you anticipated when you eat out of the bag!